Sunday, February 9, 2014

Dad: Four more weeks of winter

So, for those boys and girls that have been following along you know that we had a really difficult time deciding whether or not to continue with the chemo.  So yeah, lots more has happened on that score since last time you heard from me.  First thing was that we decided to go ahead with the third chemo, with the hope of convincing Meany to let us do a scan or something and stopping there.  We also wanted to stop giving Cambria a medication on the weekends that supposed to prevent a certain kind of disease that chemo makes you susceptible to.  We wanted to stop because it seems to make it harder for Cambria to sleep.  We were shot down on both counts.  There just isn't the research out there to give us an idea of what would happen if we stopped the chemo on an odd number.  That seemed like a weird reason to me given that it would have been reasonable to stop at 2 sessions, but it seems when dying from cancer is what's at stack when you're in for a penny you're in for a pound.  On the second score apparently the other preventative medication are just not nearly as effective.

This was a bit of a rough start to the week, but what are ya gonna do.  However, the Good Lord has given me peace on continuing this treatment.  Not that that means I think I know what's going to happen next, I just think this is what He wants to have happen.   My aunt Tami helped with that by being able to be here to help when my mom got sick.  Anyway, my daughter is a trooper, day one was a 10 hour day O' fun and she took it in stride.  Towards the end of the day we had a virtual parade of nurses coming in to see her.  Can't blame them, she's kind of awesome.  It's weird just how tired you get after this considering we, the parents, do actually very little during this process.  I did a couple of hours of hanging out with my wife, mother and law, and aunt, and played on my phone.  Afterwards it feels like I just took a massive test or something.

Anyway, difficulties aside we have two big things to be thankful for this week.  First, my daughter went through three days of chemo, the second 2 were short ones, she didn't even require fluids, and on Friday she successfully slept from 11:30 to 6:30.   This was really a huge answer to prayer, and we were praying.  Then, last night, she did one better and slept from 9 to 5:30.  and the crowds cheer and champagne falls from the heavens (but she doesn't get any...cuz she's a baby).  Awesome thing number 2:  people are so generous I really don't even know how to react.  Thank you.

We probably only have one session of chemo left, she's getting better at sleeping though the night she's moving toward crawling, and people are amazing.  Our God is an Awesome God.

No comments:

Post a Comment