Friday, November 22, 2013

Dad: The day Daddy lived on the phone

This is the day where daddy lived on the phone.  To put it in perspective the four month check up happened on tuesday, the CT scan on Wednesday, now it's Friday.  You will all have to live with the disappointment of not knowing what went on on Thursday.  We were supposed to hear results from the pee test today and we were a little anxious.  Around ten am I got a call from Lisa, a scheduling person for Childrens.  I tried to play it cool like I understood why my daughter needed a operation thinking that the details would come out in time.  In reality I was slightly caught off guard.  After a short conversation we work out a time on the following Tuesday for a biopsy of the tumor.  Only the second time the word tumor had been used, and once I returned to breathing I asked many questions.  I won't bother you with all the details, but the main points are that some level of anesthesia would be used and it was happening in the morning.   She didn't seem to know too much though, she kept the books, but she did assure me that she would put a request in for the surgeon to call me so that I could find out what was going on.  After a quick call to my wife, which scared the crap out of her, I returned to the dishes.

Two hours later I got a call from a pre-op nurse who told me about the things that we needed to do before a surgery which involved general anesthesia.  After another barrage of questions she also assured me that a request would be put in for some Doctor to contact me.  I again called my wife at work and scared the crap out of her.

Another couple of hours passed and Doctor Meany (she is still nice) called telling me that a radiologist had looked at the CT scan and that we were going to have to biopsy the tumor to find out exactly what we are dealing with.  I asked many questions and finally I got many answers.  The Biopsy is not going to be nearly as invasive as we were fearing, and that they could schedule it as soon as next week.  I kind of laughed at her at that point...that might not have been very nice.

Another hour later a very hassled Surgeon called me because of the many requests that had been made for more information.  He described the situation with roughly the candour of: So your kid has Neuroblastoma and we are gonna take a couple pieces of it. 

We have an appointment for a biopsy 1 week after the mass was discovered, our God is an awesome God.

No comments:

Post a Comment