Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Dad: Cambria's 4 month Checkup

So I realize that everyone knows what a check up is, but I'm going to describe it anyway just to point out my perspective going into my daughter's check-up on November 20th.  You go see the nice doctor with peeling Disney characters on the walls, she tells you that everyone is healthy and sends you on your marry way.  If it wasn't for the immunizations it be a bit of a waste of time.

Anyway, we go to her 4 month appointment, Cambria decided that she wanted to eat right before, so I'm running a bit late...whatever.  The nice nurse weighs her and, shocker, she's massive.  I don't mean like sumo baby, but large none the less.  The nurse leaves and her pediatrician (Dr. Anlage) pops in and does the usual routine.  We love our pediatrician, because she's amazing. ((Ok, side note, I have ADD and as a result you might find some of my writings slightly...scattered.))  So, she pokes around Cambria saying the usual: "heart beat sounds good", "yeah your a happy little girl" which is mainly cause she giggles a lot "what's this?".   At which point me and my wife do a triple take, because that last one wasn't on the expected list.  She spends the next minute or two identifying each organ in turn in the area and recognizing the fact that there seems to be something new...what? new? what?  She gives us the this is probably nothing spiel but we should get a look at it with a sonogram.

So after Cambria got a couple of immunization shots we left the office and called the sonogram people. Before leaving the building we gave a call to the sonogram place (which happens to be 5 doors down the hall).  I told the nice lady that we needed a sonogram, and we were in the area if they had a moment.  I was rather shocked to find out that they did, so we headed over and less then an hour after my baby girl's examination we were preping her for a sonogram (praise The Good Lord).   I go back and forth from freaking out and figuring that this is nothing really significant just some i's to dot and t's to cross.  However, when we looked at the sonograms computer interface and seeing that they took almost twice as many pictures of Cambria's stomach than they had the other clients of that day.   So after Cambria freaked the nice tech's out because of how...angry...she gets when she's hungry (they confessed to thinking that they were torturing her), we headed back and saw our pediatrician.

I know this is long winded, but it was a long 2 hours. Anyway, the nurse put us in the Cars room and we waited for what I'm pretty sure was an eternity (maybe 10 minutes) for Anlage to come back and tell us what the sonogram discovered.  She tells us that they found it, it is weird and we need to go to Children's National in DC for more tests.  Which is, again, not what a parent wants to hear.  Anlage calls, gets us an appointment for a TC scan for 18 hours later.  It's simultaneously scary and comforting when Doctors move quickly.

In summation: Our Doctor found a very small thing inside a very small girl with nothing but the use of her thumb.  We got a sonogram and scheduled a CT scan in less than 2 hours.  Today our God is an awesome God because he gave us Doctor Anlage.

2 comments:

  1. I love reading the way you write, Derek. Scattered is my fav.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading the way you write, Derek. Scattered is my fav.

    ReplyDelete